Typically, expect to spend $3,790 to $14,000 when installing HVAC system.
Heating, ventilation and air conditioning system are equipment designed to ensure that the ideal microclimate is constantly created in the room, regardless of the weather outside the window, the number of constantly staying people and other factors. Complex engineering solution provides not only comfort, but also affects the efficiency of natural resources consumption. There is no universal design solution of HVAC. Each project requires an individual approach. One of the most responsible stages on the way to an ideal HVAC system is considered to be installation. Not only comfort, but also the ability to save on bills depends on how professionally and technically competent the installation will be done.
What does HVAC installation include?
Clean air is the key to excellent health and well-being of each of us. It makes no sense to deny this statement. A quality ventilation system is able to provide clean air in the house. Exclusively professionals should handle installing new hvac system, because it is a whole complex of works, which includes:
- organization and construction of the duct network
- installation of air distribution components
- connecting the equipment to the network.
Installation is carried out strictly according to the plan, in accordance with the project documentation. Experts install the system in stages. Violation and displacement of stages is absolutely inadmissible. Such errors provoke incorrect operation of the equipment and its rapid failure. Before proceeding to installation, it is necessary to designate the places where the future air ducts will be placed. After that, the installation begins directly. Construction insulation work is carried out together with the installation. Next, the masters power the system with electricity, with the subsequent start-up and commissioning work. The final stage is the installation of grids on the ventilation holes. Nevertheless, it comes only after the system has been tested and shown to work perfectly.
Factors That Affect HVAC Installation Cost
There is no single cost for installing a heating, air conditioning, ventilation system. There are certain factors that affect the final amount. Taking into account each of them, the price of installation work is derived. The main nuances that are taken into account in the process of deriving of installing hvac system cost become the scale and efficiency of the equipment, the area of the room and the type of system. The quality of installation must be perfect. Any mistake can lead to incorrect operation, as well as increase the cost of paying bills for the consumption of resources. Therefore, it is not advisable to save your budget on the quality of the installation under any circumstances.
Cost by Efficiency
The Efficiency Index is a seasonal coefficient that reflects the ability of the system to perform its tasks 100%, regardless of external factors. In order not to make a mistake and choose a system that suits the efficiency index, it is worth knowing that the higher the index, the lower the efficiency of the equipment. The optimal coefficient for the equipment is considered to be 16. However, in each individual case we should be primarily focused on the area of the room and the requirements of the buyer.
Cost by House Size
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing a system is the size of the house. The range of equipment offers a variety of system sizes to choose from. The size, in turn, affects the tonnage – the ability of the system to cool/heat the building. The larger the room to be served by the system, the higher the tonnage should be. Direct correlation, as opposed to efficiency. Specialists calculate this indicator with maximum accuracy, taking into account the number of floors, ceiling height, basement and attic space, quality of floors, etc.
Cost by HVAC Unit Type
The concept of system type includes make, model, and functionality. Functionality can raise the price tag by several thousand U.S. dollars, so in the process of selecting HVAC, do not be guided only by the initial technical characteristics. In order not to increase the cost of installation, it is worth paying attention to the capabilities, design features and requirements for the future operation of the system.
Average HVAC Installation Cost
To calculate the average cost of installing hvac system, it is recommended to break down the equipment into its component parts and examine the prices of each part individually. The HVAC system includes:
- air conditioner – window units are considered the most budget option, which will require a budget of several hundred dollars. If you want a more advanced, technologically advanced air conditioning system, the range of equipment offers ductless split systems or a central air conditioning system
- furnace – the price of a furnace varies depending on what type of fuel is used for its operation. The most affordable options are electric furnaces. Furnaces with natural gas and oil furnaces are coming next on the price ladder.
- heat pump – the choice offers quite a few options for equipment. Therefore, it won’t be difficult to get on a budget. Mini-split heat pumps are considered the cheapest. The most expensive are heat pumps with an optional electric split. Air and geothermal heat pumps are considered a solid middle class and are becoming the most popular among today’s buyers.
The cost of all of the above components is an approximate amount that will be needed to install the HVAC system. However, do not think that this is the end of the expenses and put a clear figure in the budget, without any reserve. Complex engineering equipment requires expenditures on additional components, which must be necessarily included in the costs. The number of components and their variety depends on the type of system chosen by the user.
Additional Costs Related to Installing a New HVAC System
The HVAC system will not be able to work at full capacity if additional components are not installed. They also significantly increase the total cost of equipment installation. In particular, it is recommended to take care of the availability of:
- air purifier, which improves indoor air quality significantly
- dehumidifier, which helps tidy up the microclimate in rooms with high humidity
- thermostats, which help optimize energy use, and therefore reduce energy bills
- ultraviolet lamps, as practical experience proves, contribute to better air purification, make the microclimate even more comfortable. However, they require replacement every year. The cost of bulbs may seem quite high, but calculations prove the economy and rationality of their purchase.
It is quite possible to choose additional elements within the average budget. Nevertheless, their purchase and installation definitely increase the total cost of HVAC design and installation.
HVAC Unit Installation Cost: DIY vs. Hiring a Professional
Installation of HVAC is a complex work, which requires a high level of professionalism, as well as a whole arsenal of specialized tools. Installation of the system consists of several stages, which begin with the design and ends with the installation of grids on the ventilation holes. Already at the design stage inadmissible errors exist. Even the most minor ones. Masters who are able to make the clearest possible calculations should draw up documentation.
All elements that form a complex system are mounted in a certain order. Even the most minor error or change in the algorithm of actions can lead to problems with the operation of the system or its maintenance. That is why it is so important to choose the masters who will be entrusted with this complex scope of work carefully. Installing hvac system is impossible without training and practical experience. Professional companies are able to guarantee the excellent result of their work. Thus, they guarantee flawless operation of the equipment for a long period.
How to Save Money on a New HVAC System Installation?
Installing a heating, air conditioning and heating system is an expensive endeavor. A quality system saves a room from many destructive problems caused by excessive humidity, low temperatures. When calculating the cost to install hvac system, as well as all necessary additional equipment, it is recommended to take into account several important factors that help save on the total bill:
- selecting a system that perfectly meets your comfort requirements and wishes for equipment capabilities. It is not worth spending extra money to purchase a system that is too powerful or has functionality that will never be used. An expert can help you assess the needs and capabilities of the system you need for installation
- analyzing several offers you should give preference to those companies that speak honestly, transparently and openly about their work, how the work is assessed, whether there is service maintenance, etc. The main thing is that the company should provide in full all the necessary basic work and can guarantee quality service throughout the life of the operation
- listening to advice and recommendations – in other words, reading reviews. The opinions of those who have already used the services of a certain company help you make the right choice.
When selecting system components, it is worth considering energy efficiency. Modern equipment modernizes the system and reduces future maintenance and repair costs. If you are unable to make a choice on your own, you should seek the help of professionals. Experienced specialists help to choose a system that will meet all the requirements and expectations of the customer. At the same time, they take into account not only the technical parameters, but also the stated budget.
How long does it take to install an HVAC unit?
The time it takes for hvac system install is influenced by several factors at once:
- the total area of the room to be served by the equipment
- the type of system to be installed, its size and technical features
- the need to organize and carry out the dismantling of the system that existed in the house previously
- the ability to install the system without encountering problems with free access to the necessary communications in the house.
There is no time constant that can be taken as a reference point. Every project is different in its scope and specifics. The customer can help shorten the timeframe by taking a number of simple steps. These include:
- to ensure access to those parts of the house that the masters need to work on in the first place
- to clear the area, to allow the experts to move freely around the house/office/warehouse, etc., and to provide excellent lighting.
- to minimize the impact of distractions – it is quite normal to ask questions. It is of noisy processes and making sure that there are no children, pets, or processes that can reduce the safety of all participants in the work near the masters.
After the calculation, design and inspection of the object, it is possible only approximately to get an answer to the question of how long the installation will last. Professional companies that provide the service of HVAC installation can sound approximate dates even at the stage of inspection of the premises. In any case, in the process of performing the work there should be laid the possibility of various mishaps that can slightly delay the final date of completion of the process.