The average gas furnace cost is $2,250. This falls within a typical installation cost range of $650 to $9000, depending on the furnace type, size, brand, fuel source, and the size of the home.
Most HVAC systems are formed using special forced air furnaces. The furnaces use a simple principle: heating of air by combustion of gas followed by pushing the heated mass through the duct system. The quality of the equipment allows it to work for a long time. However, there are no eternal devices, which means that the furnace fails one day, requiring urgent replacement. In the case when the old furnace is no longer usable, it is worth looking at new models that are highly efficient, economical and durable. Before settling on a particular model, it is worth studying the characteristics and nuances that can affect the final cost of replacing the equipment.
When to Install a Gas Furnace?
The gas furnace may malfunction. Depending on the nature and extent of the problem, it is worth objectively assessing the situation and understand whether it is worth repairing the equipment or it is more appropriate to carry out a complete replacement of the element of the HVAC system. Nevertheless, it is worth learning more about when installation of gas furnace will be the best solution:
- service life exceeds 15-20 years
- user notices a significant increase in gas consumption bills
- whole system works perfectly, the thermostats display correct information, but the room is still too cold
- furnace heats the rooms in the house unevenly
- when the equipment is turned on, there is too much dust/suds in the house
- equipment emits sounds (scraping, squeaking, knocking) during its operation
- operation of the equipment is accompanied by unpleasant odors
- furnace copes with its tasks insufficiently qualitatively, so there are pockets of mold, fungus in the house.
Another sign that your furnace needs to be replaced immediately is when the unit cycles on and off too often. Gas furnace is considered the most popular type of heating device. The cost of such equipment is much higher than electric models, but in the process of operation, the price is quickly recouped by efficient operation, and thus lower bills for the gas used.
What is the Average Cost of Installation a Gas Furnace?
A gas furnace becomes the best option for those users who can organize a free connection to gas. It is worth choosing furnaces that are able to provide consistently high efficiency, while also budgeting for the price of installation work. The final cost of gas furnace installation will depend on several factors.
Cost by Efficiency
The efficiency of a heating system is an indicator that shows the annual fuel efficiency. Ideal efficiency is close to 100%. Gas furnaces can provide a fairly high indicator. However, it is worth understanding that every gas furnace must be equipped with a smoke extraction system, through which a certain amount of heat is lost. Nevertheless, the market offers models that can easily provide up to 98.5% efficiency. High efficiency models differ in their design, which means that the installation process will require special preparation and organization. Cost of new gas furnace with installation can reach several thousand dollars.
Cost by Size
The size of the furnace determines the amount of heat it can produce in a given amount of time. You should not select a furnace simply based on your own preference for heat. The calculation must take into account the size of the building/room. It is also worth considering the climate. It is not advisable to buy a huge stove that will waste a lot of money and fuel in warm climates.
Cost by Type
Gas furnaces are divided into types according to their heat capacity. It is possible to purchase heat-consuming ones with a brick body, which is characterized by the ability to accumulate heat and gradually give it away for some time after shutdown. Non-heat-capacity designs generate heat only at the moment of operation. Heat capacity affects the price. Furnaces also differ in shape and can be round, oval, rectangular.
Factors in Calculating Gas Furnace Installation Cost
Before we announce the final gas furnace installation cost, it is worth finding out more about the factors that are involved in its formation. There is no specific cost that would be relevant for both a small country house and an office building, because you need to take into account the individual parameters of each room.
Gas furnace installation prices are prepared taking into account the following points:
- type of equipment – the factor that forms most of the budget, the most significant investment part. There are single-stage, two-stage and modeling furnaces
- size of the equipment – large-scale designs are far ahead of small, compact devices in terms of cost
- brand, company – companies that specialize in the production of furnaces offer a huge range of different devices for every budget
- size of the house, total area of the premises – the furnace is selected depending on the area that needs to be qualitatively heated. A certain amount of work is calculated taking into account the scale of the house.
An additional consideration is the fuel source. A gas furnace can work not only on natural gas. There are models that will cope quite effectively with the tasks at hand, working on propane. Do not forget that the budget must necessarily include a certain amount of money to pay for the labor of the master. The specialist not only performs the installation, but also adjusts, starts and checks the correct operation of the heater.
Additional Costs and Considerations
To avoid unpleasant situations with too high a gas furnace installation bill, it is advisable to familiarize yourself with the additional costs that are sure to accompany the installation of the equipment. If the gas furnace is installed for the first time or if the electric appliance is replaced by gas heating, the installation of the gas line must be included in the additional costs.
New models that are installed to replace the outdated ones will require replacement of the ducts. In addition, this is another expense. Calculation of the quantity and costs of ductwork installation is based on the floor and the number of ventilation openings.
In a house that needs to replace old equipment with new it is worth setting aside funds to pay for dismantling work. The masters who do the work can not just dismantle, but also recommend ways to market scrap and other waste. Situations happen where dismantling is not necessary because a furnace conversion can be done. For example, convert propane to natural gas, or in reverse. The last item on the list of additional costs is obtaining a special permit to install a gas furnace.
How to Reduce Furnace Installation Costs
Installing a new gas furnace can be quite an expensive endeavor. However, the cost can be reduced if you know a few important things to keep in mind. For example, helpful tips might include:
- utilizing discounts and promotional offers from installation companies
- do not settle on one offer without first considering at least three estimates from three different companies
- it is better to choose high-efficiency furnaces, as some furnaces are eligible for government credits and rebates
- it is better to buy equipment in the fall or spring. At these times of the year, many companies and stores offer discounts that allow you to buy furnaces at a good price.
It is not worth spending money on multifunctional devices if the advanced features are absolutely unnecessary and most likely will never be used. The range of devices is quite wide. Well-known brands charge higher price tags than little-known companies. Nevertheless, sometimes expensive does not mean good. You can find an excellent oven with favorable service offers without overpaying for the brand with a detailed search.
Benefits of Choosing a Gas Furnace
By choosing a gas furnace as a heating device, each user acquires the following advantages together with the equipment:
- fast heating of the house – gas will let the heat into the house much faster than electricity, as the maximum temperature is reached almost immediately after the furnace is turned on.
- economical – heating bills will be noticeably lower. With proper use of the furnace, monthly savings can be up to 50% (compared to paying bills for used electricity). This point is especially relevant for those who live in cold regions and have to use the furnace in intensive mode
- adaptability – a gas furnace can easily fit into any existing air conditioning and ventilation system. Therefore, if it is necessary to repair one of the components of the system, you should not worry about replacing or repairing the gas furnace.
Gas furnaces are environmentally friendly, and become a significant pro when selling a house. It is much easier and faster to sell or rent a gas-heated house than an electric option.
DIY Gas Furnace Installation vs. Hiring a Professional
One of the most complex and responsible processes in the arrangement of the HVAC system is considered to be the installation of a gas furnace. It is worth realizing that even the best home craftsmen are not able to take into account all the necessary nuances that the gas equipment puts forward. The furnace, connecting channels, fittings, chimney and other communications must easily withstand not only high temperatures, but also the negative impact of toxic exhausts. One mistake in calculations or in the process of installation can cost the lives of the household. The whole point is that carbon monoxide emits in the process of operation of the gas furnace, which must be qualitatively removed from the room. Incorrectly organized work can provoke carbon monoxide leakage into the room.
The masters who take on gas furnace installation and start-up projects have extensive experience, are licensed to relevant work, and take systematic continuing education courses. This allows them to keep abreast of new products and thoroughly understand the peculiarities of installation of even the newest models of gas units. In addition, specialists know what permits are necessary to obtain for the installation of gas equipment, and can help draw up the necessary documents quickly and efficiently.
A professional gas furnace installation is the only right solution to ensure that your gas furnace is safe, trouble-free and works correctly throughout its lifetime. In addition, the work of the masters comes with a warranty. The services of a specialized company, with licenses and permits, do not affect the warranty from the furnace manufacturer. Unlike amateur installation.